Leamington Spa “Lotsa Locks” Return: 36 Miles, 46 Locks
North Oxford & Grand Union Canals
- Beautiful rural scenery
- Braunston village and the “Cathedral of the Canals”
- See a wide variety of canalside moorings and interesting boats
- Plenty of locks to keep you entertained, including Bascote staircase. For the most part, they’re gently spaced out, with a good balance of activity and chugging through rolling countryside, i.e. there’s plenty of time for a cuppa and cake between any bursts of life. Keep fit and marvel at the juxtaposition of both simplicity and complexity in old technology that is still effective today.
- Stockton Locks: there are many public footpaths in the area and we do have all of the relevant OS maps onboard. Here’s an example of a lovely 5 mile Warwickshire circular walk including the Millenium Way.
- Long Itchington
- Blue lias – local stone mined for cement. Large fossils discovered here.
- Beyond lies the infamous Hatton locks, the Stratford canal, Stratford itself, Birmingham and the North of England.